Intramural basketball roundup for Feb. 25

Tigers cruise to 3–0, force Playaz showdown

After seven minutes of back-and-forth basketball that saw several lead changes, James Meyer’s nine consecutive points put the Tigers up for good in what turned out to be rout of Jenny Houle’s Y Ballaz.

Meyer put 17 first-half points and led his team with 24 points in as the well-balanced Tigers ended with four players scoring 17 points or more.

Marcus Vandersanden scored 19, Nick Brown had 18, and Jacob Meyer put up 17.

The win moved the Tigers into a tie-way tie for the lead of the Eastern Conference with Playaz.

With five minutes remaining in the first half, Nick Brown provided the league with its first slam dunk. The unofficial assist came from Joey Skiba.

Brown’s explosive drive from the left side of the court ended with a thunderous one-handed slam that broke a 16-all tie.

The Y Ballaz’ Justin Houle scored 22 points and his hot shooting kept his team close for most of the first half.

Houle’s performance not only included several jump shots but also a mix of assists to Abdi Mohammed to the ended the afternoon with 15, but it wasn’t enough to counter the Tiger’s dept.

Tigers follow with Friday’s highly anticipated match up with fellow co-leaders Playaz.

The match up features two of the conferences top teams and could be a preview of May’s championship game.

Tigers (3–0)
Nick Brown — 18; Jacob Meyer — 17; James Meyer — 24; Skiba — 8; Vandersanden — 19.

Y Ballaz (1–2)
Jenny Houle — 8; Justin Houle — 22; White ­— 5; Hood — 3; McKinney — 1; Mohammed — 15; Jermain Brown — 2.

Smith brothers keep Flying Wombats perfect

Deshawn Smith became the league’s first 30-point scorer as he put up 31 points as the Flying Wombats defeated the short-handed Rough Riders 77-52 in Western Conference action.

Smith’s brother Marchante Smith scored 19 to help keep the Flying Wombats’ conference title hopes alive.

Deshawn Smith scored 18 from beyond the arch with his brother coming up big in the second half helping put the Rough Riders out of contention after a closer first half.

Due to scheduling conflicts, the Rough Riders were without leading scorers Develle Wright for the most of the game and Darryl Green for the entire game.

Captain Phillip Borer-Nelson took the loss in stride and has confidence team will be a force in the playoffs.

Borer-Nelson and Tyron Jenkings significantly improved their offensive output scoring 19 and 16 points, respectively.

Flying Wombats
George ­— 2; Marchante Smith — 19; Smogard-Ayers — 4; Evans 22; Deshawn Smith — 31.

Rough Riders
Borer-Nelson — 19; Jenkins — 16; Johnson — 11; Tanner — 10; Wright — 4.

Johnson, Parker lead Playaz past Takeover Ballers

Andrew Johnson continued his scoring run with 24 points and CJ Parker put up 20 for the undefeated Playaz who up-ended Lonnie Black’s Takeover Baller 72-61.

Corye Murray’s Playaz (3–0) again their cohesion and selfless play to their advantage as they had the Takeover Ballers (1–2) on the run the entire game.

Perell Williams scored 25 and AJ Gyan scored 15 for the Takeover Ballers who made a strong push at the end of the game.

The Playaz game planning proved to much for them in the end and they face the Rough Riders Friday at 4:30 p.m.

Playaz (3–0)
Anderson — 10; Caldwell — 5; Andrew Johnson — 24; Paker — 20; Joseph Johnson — 13.

Takeover Ballers (1–2)
Black — 6; Gyan ­— 15; Smith — 13; Williams — 26; Hall — 1.

Statistics

Team Standings

Eastern Conference
Playaz 3–0
Tigers 3–0
Takerover Ballers  1–2
Qazotti  1–2
Y Ballaz  1–2

Western Conference
Flying Wambats  3–0
Mighty Stars  1–0
Get it Boyz  1–1
Minnesota Heat  1–1
Midway Monsters  1–2
Rough Riders  1–2

Feb. 25 results

Tigers  86
Y Ballers 53

Playaz  72
Takeover Ballers  61

Flying Wombats  77
Rough Riders  52

Qaxotti    49
Midway Monsters    41

Leading Scorers (ppg)

31  Deshawn Williams
26.5 Andrew Johnson
25  Perell Williams
24  Darryl Green
24  Martice Green
22.5 Marcus Vandersanden
21  Denito Armstrong
19.5 Justin Houle
19  Abdul Ismail
18.5 AJ Gyang

—-

Information for this section provided by Activities Coordinator Collin Beachy. Questions regarding the intramural sports may be directed to Beachy in his office in T.1000A, by phone at 612-659-6757 or by email at [email protected]