Intramural basketball roundup for March 4

March 4 Results

Tigers 49, Playaz 48.

Flying Wombats 61, Mighty Stars 36.

Minnesota Heat 59, Get it Boyz 44.

Mighty Stars 51, Midway Monsters 36.

Y Ballaz 67, Qaxotti 35.

Rough Riders 2, Takeover Ballers 0. (default)

Tigers rally, defeat Playaz 49-48

Jacob Meyer’s drive from the baseline with 13 seconds remaining proved to be the game winner in what was the most intense game of this intramural season.

With the victory, the Tigers (4-0) stay undefeated to take sole possession of first place in the Eastern Conference.

After trailing by as many as 13 points during the game, the Tigers staged a furious comeback in the closing minutes of the second half and took their first lead of the game at 47-46 with less than one minute remaining.

The well-managed Playaz (3-1) didn’t panic and within seconds of falling behind, found Andrew Johnson who promptly put his team back into the lead with 30 seconds to play.

Meyer had initially attempted a pass which was deflected back to him and he quickly drove baseline and put in the one-handed layup for the game’s final points.

The match-up between two of the league’s top teams lived up to its billing, as the cold-shooting Tigers had no answer for the Playaz’ one-two combination of Johnson and CJ Parker who scored 20 of their team’s 31 first half points.

Both teams stepped up their defensive pressure in the second half, but the Tigers were able to hold the high scoring Playaz to only 17 second-half points.

With his 16 points, Meyer became the third player to lead his team in scoring in the past three games.

Tigers (49)
Brown 3, Ferguson 6, Jacob Meyer 16, James Meyer 14, Joey Skiba 4, Vandersanden 6. Total 49.

Playaz (48)
Anderson 6, Edwards 6, Johnson 14, Lee 2, Parker 17, Stanford 3. Total 48.

Flying Wombats continue to soar in Western Conference

For the third straight game, the Flying Wombats continued their dominance of the Western Conference, this time spoiling the debut of Merle Robinson’s Mighty Stars by a score of 61-36.

The Flying Wombats (4-0) were once again led by Deshawn and Marchante Smith’s offensive production, this time putting up 22 and 21 points.

Larry Player added ten for the Wombats who are closing in on the regular season conference title.

Only competing in their first full game, the Mighty Stars (2-1) had trouble finding the basket in the opening half, but found a little of their rhythm in the closing half as all 5 players made their way into the score book.

The well-balanced Mighty Stars’ teammates spread the scoring around with a point spread of only three points between them. Captain Merle Robinson led his team with 9 points.

Flying Wombats (61)
Holley-Long 4, Sharp 4, M. Smith 21, D. Smith 22, Player 10, Smogard-Ayers 1. Total 61.

Mighty Stars (36)
Evens 6, Hicks 7, Jackson 6, Juhlke 8, Robinson 9. Total 36

Minnesota Heat too hot for Get it Boyz

The Minnesota Heat posted their first outright victory of the season in the afternoon’s third game that ended with both teams having to play 4-on-4.

In a rematch of last week’s default game, the Heat (2-1) managed to put up a solid offensive performance, outscoring the Get it Boyz 59-44.

Intramural rules state that a team must have a minimum of 4 players on the floor in order to avoid a forfeit.

In the second half of the contest, the Heat lost two players, one to foul trouble and one to an injury, which left them with 4 eligible players.

However, minutes later the Boyz fouled out one of their own, which also left them with four players.

The Heat were able to handle the pressure defense of the Get it Boyz (1-2) and had the advantage all game, placing 3 players in double figures led by Jason Douglas’ 27.

The victory keeps the Heat in a two-way tie for second place in the Western Conference, one game behind the leaders. Norman Burns scored 17 for the Get it Boyz.

Minnesota Heat (59)
Arrandondo 4, Behl 15, Douglas 27, Merdassa 4, Rickert 2, Caldwel 12. Total 59.

Get it Boyz (44)
Armstrong 9, Burns 17, Davis 6, Miamen 7, Smith 4. Total 44.

Mighty Stars Outshine Midway Monsters

In their second game of the day, the Mighty Stars kept their momentum from their last half of play, cruising out to a first-half lead and then held off another comeback attempt from the Midway Monsters to win 51-36.

Merle Robinson’s hot shooting continued as he put up 20 points for the Mighty Stars (2-1) and Leonadis Evens contributed 14. Rashad White also scored 10.

The Midway Monsters (1-3) showed they have plenty of players who can score and captain Bill Miley feels that the longer their team plays together, the more competitive they become. Vernon Johnson scored 10 points and Abdirahaman Bare scored nine.

The Mighty Stars will participate in another doubleheader next week.

Mighty Stars (51)
Evens 14, Jackson 2, Robinson 20, White-10. Total 51.

Midway Monsters (36)
Heider 4, Inlorlobah 3, Johnson 10, Miley 5, Mubara 2, Thomas 2, Bare-9. Total 36.

Y Ballaz inside game too much for Qaxotti

Abdi Mohammed’s penetrating drives from both sides of the floor were too much for Qaxotti and the Y Ballaz posted a solid 67-35 victory in the afternoon’s final contest.

Justin Houle showed his versatility as a point guard, this time dishing out several assists to Mohammed and Dion McKinney who scored 14.

Houle’s scoring production wasn’t needed this week as the Y Ballaz (2-2) dominated the paint scoring seemingly at will against the smaller Qaxotti (1-3) who started the game with only 4 players.

Jamar Campbell led his team this week scoring 16 points while Ismail Ali added 8.

Y Ballaz (67)
Jenny Houle 6, Justin Houle 8, McKinney 14, Mohamed 28, White 9. Total 67.

Qaxotti (35)
Ali 8, Campbell 16, Ismail  6, Omar 2. Total 35.

Rough Riders win by default, even record at 2-2

After the past two weeks of having to play short-handed, the Rough Riders found themselves on the other side of the process as the Takeover Ballers were only able to place three players on the floor by game time.

Captain Lonnie Black, AJ Gyang and Intramural leading scorer Perell Williams were on time for the 4:30 tip-off, but still needed one more player to avoid the default.

The Rough Riders were credited with the victory, bringing their record up to 2-2.

Scheduling conflicts had kept the Riders without their full team for the past two games, so they were anxious to get on the floor in what would’ve been only their second game as a complete team.

Both teams believe they can be a force in the Conference and Championship tournaments with their full teams on the floor.

The Takeover Ballers next game will be at 11:30 March 11, while the Rough Riders will play at 3:30.

Rough Riders (2-2)
No scorers.

Takeover Ballers (1-3)
No scorers.

Statistics

Conference Standings

Eastern Conference
Tigers 4-0
Playaz 3-1
Y Ballaz 2-2
Takeover Ballers 1-3
Qaxotti 1-3

Western Conference
Flying Wombats 4-0
Mighty Stars 2-1
Minnesota Heat 2-1
Rough Riders 2-2
Get it Boyz 1-2
Midway Monsters 1-3

Mohamed leads March 4 scorers

Five players led all scorers on Friday with 20 or more points led by Abdi Mohamed’s 28. All players scoring over 20 were on winning teams.

28-Abdi Mohamed, 27-Jason Douglas, 22-Deshawn Smith, 21-Marchante Smith, 20-Merle Robinson, 17-Norman Burns, 17-CJ Parker, 16-Jamar Campbell, 16-Jacob Meyer, 15-Anthony Behl, 14-Leonadis Evens, 14-Andrew Johnson, 14-Dion McKinney, 14-James Meyer, 12-Gary Caldwell, 10-Vernon Johnson, 10-Larry Player, 10-Rashad White.

Johnson, D. Smith lead in hunt for scoring title

Andrew Johnson remains the leagues leading scorer while Deshawn Smith leads all players in points per game.

67-Andrew Johnson (Playaz), 57-Abdi Mohammed (Qaxotti), 53-Deshawn Smith  (Flying Wombats), 52-CJ Parker (Playaz), 51-Marcus Vandersanden (Tigers), 50-Perell Williams (Takeover Ballers),  49-Jacob Meyer (Tigers), 47-Justin Houle (Y Ballaz), 45-James Meyer (Tigers), 42-Leonadis Evens (Mighty Stars).

Points per game leaders

26.5-Deshawn Smith, 25-Perell Williams, 22.3-Andrew Johnson, 20-Marchante Smith, 19-Abdi Mohammed, 18.5-AJ Gyang, Takeover Ballers, 17.3-CJ Parker 17-Marcus Vandersanden, 16.3-Jacob Meyer, 15.7-Justin Houle.

—-

Information for this section provided by Activities Coordinator Collin Beachy. Questions regarding the intramural sports may be directed to Beachy in his office in T.1000A, by phone at 612-659-6757 or by email at [email protected]