Recovering in a Big Way

By Tim Bass

The MCTC campus was bustling as The Addiction Counseling Club held a recovery and addiction awareness event last Thursday.  Operation Recovery, Erasing Stigmas was a lively collection of representatives from various local community outreach programs.  Among those in attendance were local treatment centers, a number of non-for-profit organizations, HIV community centers, culturally specific mental health and treatment programs, all offering a vast array of information.

Amongst the non-profit organizations was Asian Women United of Minnesota, geared specifically toward the Asian-Pacific Islander community.  “It’s important for us to really talk about what is a safe and healthy relationship in your family,” said Nancy Wong of AWUM.  One table down was the Council of American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), offering pamphlets and pocket guides to American-Muslims to know their rights, and legal information to keep their local community safe.

There was an astonishing degree of variety in the tables and organizations that took part in the event; from the previously mentioned culturally specific programs, to the Aveda Institute giving away shampoo and conditioner samples.  “We just wanted to be a part of a good cause” said one of the Aveda representatives.

At another table, Anthony Andres, co-founder of an AA 12-step off-shoot program called “The 12 After 12” steps he calls “The Next Steps In Recovery, spoke on his program.  “There are two sides of recovery; what we’re recovering from (addiction) and what we’re recovering (in our true selves)” said Andres.

Performances went on all day, including an acoustic set, spoken word performance by Lyrik Lasha, and poetry.  One of the activities was the inflatable bungee course, where students could hook themselves into a harness attached to a bungee cord and race each other.

As the day wore on there were gift-certificates given away for $50 toward a tattoo, a bicycle raffle, and free popcorn and cotton candy being given away just outside the Helland Center.

As things were winding down, Mason Nunemaker gave a poetry slam performance.  The event went according to schedule, ending at 3.

Keep your eyes peeled for more upcoming events and stay posted with the Addiction Counseling Club at MCTC, as they host a number of events throughout the year.  They meet in room H 2900 at noon every Tuesday.

1 Trackbacks & Pingbacks

1. MCTC All-State Academic Team Members Recognized - Student News