Liquor and drug-related crime at 3-year low

Liquor and drug-related arrests and incidents in or around the MCTC campus have dropped considerably to a three-year low, according to the campus compliance and security report released by Public Safety.

From 2009 to 2011, liquor law violation arrests have decreased by 72 percent—from 100 incidents to just 28. Similarly, drug-related incidents fell by 74 percent. The factors behind the marked decrease in incidents remained unclear.

Over the three years included in the report, six hate crimes were reported, with half of them occurring in 2011.

The news comes as robbery alerts have frequently taken residence in students’ email inboxes this semester. The report revealed that robberies have been on the rise, with zero in 2009, four in 2010 and five in 2011.

The college has sent at least five robbery or theft alerts to students so far in 2012.

The college is required to release an annual report pursuant to the Jeanne Cleary Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crimes Statistics Act passed by Congress in 1998. The Public Safety department released its report on Sept. 28.

To report crime or request an escort in or around campus, members of the community may call Public Safety at (612) 659-6910 or visit R.3100. In an emergency, dial (612) 659-6900 or 911.

1 Comment

One Response to “Liquor and drug-related crime at 3-year low”

1. Liquor and drug-related crime at 3-year low | Anthony C. Maki on November 19th, 2012 9:24 pm

[…] Liquor and drug-related crime at 3-year low Share… October 23, 2012 Leave a reply […]