Hapkido Club Brings Ancient Teachings to MCTC

IMG_20130905_163031_767

By Beck Kilkenny

Since its beginning last spring, Hapkido Club has proven itself to be one of the fastest-growing clubs on campus. Club President Calvin Boatwright is among the club’s licensed martial arts instructors along with founder and State Regional Director of Jun Tong Mu Sool (JTMS) John Murphy.

Hapkido translates to “Way of Coordinated Power” and is a Korean martial art that’s been practiced for centuries, but has only been around in the U.S. for the last fifty years. According to Murphy, it is a very in-depth art that’s more complex than other “sport arts” and regular self-defense. There are not many qualified instructors in the U.S. (many Tae Kwon Do instructors only take a seminar in Hapkido to supplement their courses) but Murphy is certified in JTMS through the Korean government, which is responsible for legitimizing instructor certificates.

Hapkido is a lot of exercise, and participants typically cycle in and out instead of attending every meeting. There’s a lot of nerve stress and joint stress involved, and even with the mats participants experience active body pain, but the body acclimates to the stress.

“If they work through the pain, it’s not gonna hurt anymore,” Murphy said.

Hapkido Club meets Tuesdays and Thursdays from 4 p.m. until 6, and on Saturdays from 2 p.m. until 4. in Loring Park or in the Bowman Hall gymnasium, depending on the weather. The club can be reached on Facebook at the JTMS Minnesota page.