Student club embracing global cultures

By Gabe Hewitt/[email protected]
Media Editor

When Chester Neese and Samuel Agada helped found the African Student Continental Club (ASCC) last April, neither predicted the club would be where it’s at right now.

The club recently held an inauguration event in which its first Executive Board was appointed and honored. The event drew in a large audience including former MCTC President Phil Davis and Interim President Avelino Mills-Novoa.

The club was founded with the intent of bringing students from African and other countries together for intercultural exchanges and networking. Agada, the club’s new president, used to go to class, work on homework at school and then go home. Getting involved with ASCC has allowed him to meet new people and feel more connected to MCTC.

“You see the amount of immigrant students growing rapidly,” he said. “This club brings us together to learn about those different cultures.”

As president, Agada plans on laying a solid foundation for the club’s future. He also wants to expand ASCC and help set up similar clubs at other college campuses.

Neese became the president of the student club Students Against Hunger and Homelessness (SAHH) in early Sept. but he is still one of ASCC’s active members and helps plan its events. One of those events was the African Dance Night on Nov. 7 in the Helland Center that showcased African dance culture and featured club members engaging in traditional dances. Like their inauguration event, this event drew in a large audience of MCTC students and community members.

“Inclusion serves as our goal and dream,” he said. “We believe it will enable us to understand the way of life.”

ASCC meets every other Wednesday from 4 to 6 p.m. in T3458.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Student club embracing global cultures”

1. Chester on November 20th, 2014 1:25 pm

Excellent report Gabe.

2. West Africa Ebola outbreak loses media coverage | City College News on February 11th, 2015 4:26 pm

[…] when it first started, everywhere you turned to it’s there,” said African Student Continental Club (ASCC) President Samuel Agada in regards to the first Ebola case in the United States. […]

Student club embracing global cultures