Student Design Collective takes studio tours and welcomes back alumni

Submitted by the MCTC Student Design Collective

The Student Design Collective (SDC) of Minneapolis Community & Technical College (MCTC) has been around for several years, helping graphic and web design industry professionals achieve the career they desire post-graduation. The SDC has evolved recently with the creation of their website, and remains a vibrant facet of MCTC student life.

Connecting with previous MCTC students is a huge part of the Student Design Collective. Through conversations and networking, the program takes an in-depth tour of the studios that have inspired the imaginations of SDC members during post-graduation life. Topics of conversation revolve around the creativ process, succeeding as a designer, leveraging print design materials and wielding the power of Web design technology.

SDC also welcomes back alumni, giving current members an outstanding networking opportunity. Many award-winning design professionals that have been through SDC themselves will be touring studios and connecting with young members. If there’s one thing that’s important for students before graduating, it’s networking. It’s a necessary part of post-graduation success and in landing that first job in or out of college.

The speaker featured is Tim Brown, an alumni of MCTC and SDC, who will talk about his creative process and designing in the “real world” at his day job, Snap Agency. This event is Thursday, December 11th, 2014, 11:45-12:45 PM in Room T4550. Tim’s portfolio of work includes the SDC site design, TRIA Orthopedic Center and Mall of America. Attendees will hear about his transition from student to designer and invited to pick his brain.

About Student Design Collective

Student organized and oriented on professional student development, Student Design Collective is dedicated to advancing students’ technical and networking abilities through events, speakers, conferences and design opportunities at MCTC and in the greater design community.

Visit them at: http://studentdesigncollective.com

Contact

To learn more about Student Design Collective’s studio tours and design industry professional speakers, please contact

Ian Sorlie

Co-President

MCTC Student Design Collective

[email protected]

Phone: (612) 483-2043