CCN investigates reports that Wells Family Center is haunted

Tazsmonn Tazsmonn gave CCN a tour of the vacant building. Photo credit: Benjamin Pecka

In honor of the spooky month of October, CCN toured the now-unused Wells Family Center on campus.

The Wells Family Center is located on Spruce street, a door down from H building. It used to house TRIO and Senior Net. Now, HVAC students use it for the purposes of their program. It has since been unoccupied for ten months.

The Wells Family Center has a varied past, initially being built as a home for H. Alden Smith, then becoming a mortuary, briefly a restaurant, and even starring in the film Drop Dead Fred. Now, it is a quiet, old building that few people venture in and out of.

DSC_0033-2.jpg

This conference room was a set for the doctor's office in the movie Drop Dead Fred. Photo credit: Benjamin Pecka

Though this building is large and vacant, and while that can easily encourage the active imagination, its spookiest stories are rather pleasant, or generally ambiguous. People have given accounts of walking on the property in the middle of January and smelling freshly cut flowers; the same smell has occurred every now and again when walking into an otherwise vacant room. There are other accounts of radios randomly turning on, and the elevator moving on its own (with no one occupying it at the time).

The spookiest accounts have been that someone will happen to look up at one of the windows of the building from the outside and see a woman looking out.

DSC_0033-2.jpg