Frey squeaks out victory in race for Minneapolis mayor

Photo credit: Benjamin Pecka

Photo credit: Benjamin Pecka

Photo credit: Benjamin Pecka

In a close victory, Ward 3 city council-member and DFL candidate Jacob Frey won the seat of mayor of Minneapolis, replacing incumbent Mayor Betsy Hodges.

Frey, a councilmember since 2013, ran on a platform that highlighted his accomplishments in Ward 3, which includes downtown, St. Anthony West, and a handful of other Minneapolis neighborhoods. His vision carries a focus on affordable housing, police reform and driving economic opportunity, according to his website.

Frey said that division runs deep in Minneapolis, that “we need bridge builders” and that the city needs a fresh start.

Approximately a week before the election, Aswar Rahman (who was previously featured in City College News) dropped out of the race to endorse Frey, stating that Frey was interested in his ideas of bringing municipal funding to MCTC’s TRIO program.

Frey was also endorsed by the Star Tribune on Oct. 27, citing his passion and ability to communicate, causing him to stand out in the city council.

“What I found [in Minneapolis] was this activist-engaged population that was fully capable of enacting the change they envisioned,” Frey said in a press conference following his victory. “I’m just so honored to be in a place where I can represent the greatest city in the whole damn world.”

DSC_7116.jpg

According to Council President Johnson (middle), Frey worked hard on bringing X-Games to Minneapolis. After reading a resolution commemorating the event, he handed the microphone to Ryan McGinnis, director of event development for X-Games. Photo credit: Benjamin Pecka

In a race – and years preceding the race – that has included a turbulent social and political climate, including the police shootings of Jamar Clark and Philando Castile, Mayor Hodges faced glaring criticisms and attacks from opponents and constituents.

In July, a march led by Black Lives Matter Twin Cities, Communities United Against Police Brutality, and Twin Cities Coalition for Justice 4 Jamar hijacked a press conference, condemning Hodges and her inaction against police incidences and forced her out of the conference. Organizers from New North were also present at this march. Jon Thompson of New North endorsed Nekima Levy-Pounds during the press conference. Levy-Pounds ended the race with 15 percent of first-choice votes.

The city has also elected the first African-American transgender woman, Andrea Jenkins, to Ward 8. Jenkins is the first openly transgender black woman to hold public office in the country, and focused many of her key platforms around equity in various aspects of the city.

The only non-DFL candidates to win the first-choice votes include incumbent Cam Gordon (Green Party) in Ward 2 and Ginger Jentzen (Socialist Alternative) in Ward 3.

DSC_7128.jpg

Frey takes notes during the Jun. 30 Minneapolis City Council meeting where $15 minimum wage was approved. Photo credit: Benjamin Pecka

[Update 11/20/2017: CCN incorrectly reported that Communities United Against Police Brutality and New North led the march on City Hall and endorsed Nekima Levy-Pounds. CUAPB does not endorse candidates, and there were 3 groups that included CUAPB who led that march. Specifically, Jon Thompson of New North (among other groups) endorsed Nekima Levy-Pounds during the press conference.]

1 Comment

One Response to “Frey squeaks out victory in race for Minneapolis mayor”

1. Michelle Gross on November 16th, 2017 9:36 pm

Corrections are needed in this article. The rally that disrupted Mayor Hodges’ press conference was led by Black Lives Matter Twin Cities, Communities United Against Police Brutality, and Twin Cities Coalition for Justice 4 Jamar. Further, the article states that Communities United Against Police Brutality endorsed Nekima Levy-Pounds. Our organization, Communities United Against Police Brutality, does not endorse candidates.

Michelle Gross, President
    Communities United Against Police Brutality

• Frey squeaks out victory in race for Minneapolis mayor

Local & State

News Briefs for November 16, 2017

Local & State

Meet top five candidates in a tight race for mayor

Local & State

Mayoral candidate Aswar Rahman wants to invest millions into MCTC students

Local & State

Young People’s Coalition marches downtown Minneapolis to declare ‘No KKK, No racist USA’

Local & State

Clashing ideologies prompt assault at State Capitol

Local & State

Politicians and citizens implore Minnesotans to legalize marijuana at 4/20 rally

Local & State

State reps propose tuition cut at the price of Student Life

Local & State

Anti-Trump protesters close I-94

• Local & State

Anti-Trump protesters close I-94

Featured

Life Over North: A Travel Log