Wild Rice, flutes and beadwork on display at Native Knowledge

Alicia De La Cruz and Professor Jeffrey Chapman look at a shammy Chapman made from leather. Photo credit: Emily Lazear

Native Knowledge, an event held during Native American Heritage Month, highlighted the diversity of Native tribes in Minnesota.

The event took place on Nov. 15, H.1002.

“Most people have questions about history,” said Alicia De La Cruz, UNITE president, about the event.

There were four tables filled with different pieces of Native American culture, including music, dance/regalia, food and history. A stamp from each table entered participants into a drawing for beaded earrings made by De La Cruz.

Standing behind the music table was MCTC Professor Jeffrey Chapman, also a member of the Native American Advisory Board and professional flute teacher and crafter.

“These are replicas of flutes they have in the science museum,” he said, pointing to two Lakota style flutes. “They called me in for some consultation, and gave me permission to copy and replicate the flutes.”

One of the flutes was originally made by Lakota flute-maker of the 1800s, Dan Red Buffalo, and according to Chapman, only 10 of them are known to still exist.

At the food table, Bill Rice and Elizabeth Campbell served fry bread and wild rice soup, from their cafe, Pow Wow Grounds located at 1414 Franklin Ave.

“Anything being eaten here today was harvested by me,” Rice said.

The history table had information about the 10 different federally recognized Indian tribes of Minnesota.

These include Leech Lake Band of Ojibwe, Red Lake Band of Chippewa Indians, and White Earth Reservation, notably home to Winona LaDuke, who in 2008, made a run for vice president as a candidate on the green ticket.

“It’s all about education”, said De La Cruz.

IMG_4041.jpg

Bob Rice and Elizabeth Campbell brought fry bread and wild rice soup from their cafe, Pow Wow Grounds, at 1414 Franklin Ave. Photo credit: Emily Lazear

IMG_4038.jpg

Professor Chapman, also professional flute builder, explains the Lakota origin of his flutes to a student. Photo credit: Emily Lazear

IMG_4031.jpg

Traditional dance regalia is a colorful source of pride for those who wear it during ceremonies. Photo credit: Emily Lazear

IMG_4032.jpg

Dance, food, music, and history, made up the four stations at this event. Photo credit: Emily Lazear