MCTC First Annual Powwow coming April 13

MCTC’s First Annual Powwow honoring graduates and alumni will be held on Friday, April 13 at the MCTC gymnasium in B.1500, beginning at 5 p.m. Everyone is welcome and encouraged to attend.

The traditional powwow is a springtime ritual to celebrate the arrival of warmer weather and to reconnect with other tribes after the long winter and to renew relationships.

“I’ve been going to powwows as a kid, it’s a real comfortable feeling actually going to one…being a part of it is a good feeling and makes you feel proud of your culture, and that it’s still alive in America,” said Dominic Babineau, MCTC student and member of the Red Cliff Band of Lake Superior Chippewa.

MCTC’s powwow will be one of the first of the season, and is being held indoors this year to allow the event to proceed rain or shine. Festivities begin with a feast of Indian tacos at 5:30 p.m. catered by Powwow Grounds. Dancer and drum registration will take place until 6:45 p.m., and the grand entry is at 7 p.m. During grand entry, attendees will see a procession of all the dancers entering the gym, starting with the honor guard where veterans will carry the flags, followed by the eagle staff bearer and the other dancers.

Free parking is being offered in the MCTC parking ramp beginning at 4 p.m. The drug and alcohol free event is sponsored by the United Nations of Indian Tribes (UNITE) and the American Indian Success Program. Though this will be a non-competitive powwow, there are some funds available for compensation for drummers and dancers. Anyone interested should contact UNITE as soon as possible at 612-659-6713, or visit their office weekdays from 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. in H.2600. To learn more about the event, contact UNITE President Samora Redding at [email protected]