Right to revolution?

The political theorist and Father of Classical Liberalism, John Locke crafted the idea of the Social Contract. The Social Contract is the idea that the People give up rights in order to have others protected, such as Life, Liberty and Property.

John Locke also made clear that in the event the Legislation was not holding up its end of the bargain, that it was the right of the People to Rebellion.

Political Rebellion, of course, has a place in our society today. It is called impeachment, or perhaps more relevant to MCTC, a vote of no confidence. A potential vote against MCTC president Phil Davis was tabled earlier this month by majority vote. Phil Davis has been the president of MCTC since 1998.

According to MnSCU, the president “is the primary spokesperson for the college or university and periodically consults with students, faculty, staff and members of the community. Duties and responsibilities of the president include providing innovative educational leadership, allocating campus resources, employing personnel, following system policies and procedures, and implementing the system’s strategic plan.”

Is president Davis meeting the obligations set before him? The primary concern raised was a claim of a lack of academic planning. Clearly, if that is one of the core responsibilities as president, were he not fulfilling it he would not deserve to be in his position.

Another raised issue was the media policy at MCTC. Nearly all colleges (and all organizations for that matter) have some sort of rule in place stating that an employee may not speak to the media on behalf of the school. Typically, these “gag orders” are not heeded as very serious. For whatever reason (and the reason is difficult to find, what with a gag order in place on talking to the media) MCTC staff take this policy very seriously, unusually so. Other claims included occasional violations in employee contracts and allegedly unscrupulous behavior on Davis’ part regarding staff of color.

What I am more interested in is the “facetime”. I have been here almost two full semesters now and seen Davis once. I represent a highly involved student in the community as well. I am an editor for the college paper and on campus more than just for my classes, but again have only met him once. Does that classify as fulfilling the facetime requirement?

I can only represent one person though, one member of our society at MCTC. At any time, MCTC has anywhere from 7,000 to 15,000 students. We all have a voice and we all have the right to share it. Please, if you have any opinions to share, share them. You can do this in many ways, several of them quite direct.

You can call people. Phil Davis’ number is (612)659-6300. Predisposed to email? [email protected] Do you think that the president is doing the things he should be? You could email us too. [email protected] Disagree with me and think I am out of place writing this article? My email is right at the top.

I repeat once more, as written by MnSCU themselves:

“The president is the primary spokesperson for the college or university and periodically consults with students, faculty, staff and members of the community. Duties and responsibilities of the president include providing innovative educational leadership, allocating campus resources, employing personnel, following system policies and procedures, and implementing the system’s strategic plan.”

Where does your confidence fall?