New Transcript Service, New Transcript Fee

Do you want to apply for a scholarship? Or maybe you plan on transferring to another educational institution? Or maybe, who knows, have your academic achievements hanging on your wall!? If you answered yes to any of these questions, you will likely need an official transcript from MCTC. You must go to the student services suite, order it and have it mailed to you without any cost. But that is about to change!

Starting sometime this spring, transcript ordering will be made possible online. The costs for that service are not yet defined, but Scott Erickson, MCTC Vice-President of Finances estimates $5 for an initial non-rush transcript order. “We see the benefits outweighing the cost. Students don’t have to drive to campus, pay for parking, nor do they have to fill in forms and mail them to school in order to get their official transcript” said VP Erickson. Tracking of transcript processing status will also be available with the new service.

The decision to implement the service and the new fee was made according to MnSCU Board Policies, which provides the campus Student Senate be consulted. That does not necessarily mean that the MCTC Student Senate approved the measure. In fact, the proposal taken to the Senate by VP Erickson and registrar Elizabeth Erredge was turned down by the senators on November 29, 2006. The Student Senate’s decision was taken into account and, according to VP Erickson, changes have been made to original proposal.

There is still debate over the details of this new service and its fee among the administrators, and the student senate plans on having more input into the final details.

The Student Senate meetings are every Wednesday, at 3 pm in H-2050.

Diego Andrade
Student Senate Officer