Bulletin: Climate Change, Major Decisions, and State Senators on Campus

100 Down, 100 To Go

A new component of the 100 Years Strong centennial celebration is Understanding Climate Change: The Next 100 Years sponsored by the Minnesota State College Faculty (MSCF) Sustainability Committee. The program aims to educate students on the science and societal elements of climate change while considering the future of MCTC and the world at large. The program will entail documentary screenings and guest lectures that students record on a postcard labeled as the Passport To a Healthy Climate, which they then mail to their political representative as evidence of their concern.

The first event from the MSCF Sustainability Committee was guest speaker Brian Vetter, the Assistant Director of Environmental Health and Safety at the University of Minnesota on September 12. The discussion revolved around nuclear energy and hoped to address the question, “Where will our electricity come from next? (after fossil fuels)”.

Look for more The Next 100 Years events around campus this year.

“What’s Your Major?”

MCTC Career Services Department will be hosting the first Major Fair this semester on Oct. 8 in the T-skyway from 10-1 p.m.. Faculty and students from Career and Technical Programs and Liberal Arts/Transfer Majors will be in attendance to help students answer any questions about finding careers in their field of study during or after college.

The event is happening simultaneously with a panel on IT security careers at Century College, and is part of Career Services Fall 2013 program of Major Decisions events and workshops. Also coming this fall are a Business Entrepreneur Panel on November 6, a Liberal Arts Careers and Advising event Nov. 13, 14, and 15; and a Biotech Company Tour at Pace Analytical on Dec. 5.

Higher Ed Heavyweights at MCTC

The 13 members of the State Senate Higher Education and Workforce Development Committee will be answering prepared questions from student leaders in the Multipurpose Room of the Helland Center Thursday, September 19th. Chair Terri Bonoff (44, DFL), Vice Chair Greg Clausen (57, DFL) and Ranking Minority Member Jeremy Miller (28, R) will answer questions about tuition, financial aid, campus development and more during the 45 minute Q&A.

All students are invited to attend, although only designated students will be allowed to ask questions.