Learning Center provides students with extra studying opportunities

(Photo: James Healy/City College News)

By Kassidy Curry
Arts Editor

MCTC’s Learning Center located on the fourth floor of the T Building is a resource provided to students that gives an extra opportunity to get help with subjects outside of class.

The center offers students two appointments per subject every week. Students can schedule appointments with tutors or come during the open hours for a walk-in appointment. Over 80 student tutors are currently employed at the location. Professional tutors are also available for each subject.

“Because there are so many tutors, it’s easy to find a student and tutor that work well together. There’s a certain chemistry that goes on between a teacher and a learner,” said student tutor Brent LaMuro.

Currently about 15 percent of the MCTC students utilize the Learning Center. It also likes to advocate group study sessions. If students are interested in starting a study group, they can talk to the Learning Center about the possibility of getting a room and a tutor to help out.

“It’s really a reflection of the school’s commitment to helping students be successful,” said Director John Heinrichs.

Working as a tutor is also an opportunity given to students. Tutors can work around a schedule that works best for them work in the subjects that they are most qualified for and comfortable with. Through working at the center, students can also become a College Reading and Learning Association certified tutor.

“I think I learn more than I tutor,” said student tutor Mbathio Diagne.

The hours are 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Fridays, but if you can’t find a time that works for you within those hours, you can talk to someone at the Learning Center to see if they can accommodate you.

Student Ayodeji Oladeinde has been attending the learning center since he first started MCTC in Jan. 2012. He has received help in both English and Math and claims that the Learning Center has worked very well for him.

“It’s a very good resource that every student needs to know about,” he said.