Students Against Hunger and Homelessness opening new space

Sydney Foster

The new space is located on the first floor of the Helland Center. (Photo: Sydney Foster/City College News)

By Kassidy Curry/[email protected]
Arts Editor

The MCTC student club Students Against Hunger and Homelessness (SAHH) will be occupying a new space on the first floor of the Helland Center where Student Life previously rented out board games.

“With this space provided for SAHH, we will be able to get more voluntary members because we have a location where they can come and talk to us,” said SAHH President Chester Neese. “We can use the space as a means to expand the program.”

This new space, which they will be sharing with Tech Services, will provide easier access for students to both donate food as well as acquire it. The Student Life desk on the second floor of the Helland Center will be responsible for board games.

“The goal is to continue to have direct access for students to get food,” said faculty advisor MaryAnn Prado.

They are going to build the schedule based on volunteer availability, but plan to be open 2-4 p.m. on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. During these hours, students who come to the counter of this new location will receive an amount of food based off of the current stock that SAHH has.

“If you need food, we have food – come get it,” said Prado. “Whatever we have, we’ll have a limit based off of that.”

SAHH is composed of student volunteers. This not only provides a stronger connection with peers with distribution, but also provides students opportunities to become more involved with the community. Students also have the opportunity to rise into leadership positions in these community groups, which also allows them to build connections and skills with running an organization. SAHH creates an environment for students to help out students.

“We want to be able to connect a lot of our students to resources and also be empowered enough that they can actually be the ones that are leading,” said Prado.

Right now, SAHH is currently trying to acquire as much food as they can in order to stock up for the grand opening which is planned for Mar. 19. They are looking for donations from students, staff, faculty and partners. Donations can be dropped off at Student Life.