SLBC proposes Student Life budget for 15-16

Back to Article
Back to Article

Student Life Director Tara Martinez and SLBC members Morgan O'Sullivan, Kelvin Thoulouis and Nate Krantz discussing the Student Life budget. (Photo: Sydney Foster/City College News)

By Gabe Hewitt/[email protected]
Features Editor

UPDATE: The scheduled vote for the Student Life fee increase at the April 15 Student Senate meeting was tabled and will be voted on during the April 22 meeting at 3 p.m. in H1002.

UPDATE: The Student Senate voted and approved the 50 cent increase to the Student Life fee and the Student Life budget for next year at their April 22 meeting. Additional cuts were made to increase the allocated budget. Click here to see the final budget.

The Student Life Budget Committee (SLBC) has laid out the $837,793 budget for Student Life for next year with proposed cuts to Student Life clubs and an increase to the Student Life fee.

The SLBC is comprised of students who are tasked with determining what the Student Life budget, funded by the Student Life fee in a student’s tuition, will be used for. These fees are used to fund Student Life clubs and their advisers, several administrative departments and subsidization of the College Pass. This budget is based off projected enrollment numbers for the college. If there are projected to be less students the following academic year, there will be less money coming from Student Life fees. According to the SLBC chair and Student Senate Director of Finance Gustavo Marquez, the SLBC was dealing with a more than $100,000 deficit from last year.

In order to create more money for next year, the SLBC has proposed increasing the Student Life fee to an additional 50 cents per credit. Doing so would generate $88,000 to the Student Life budget. Any increase to the Student Life must be voted on by the Student Senate and will take place on April 15 April 22 at 3 p.m. in H1002.

If the vote on the fee increase fails, there would be plans to subsidize the College Pass less and thus, increasing its cost in fall 2015. Last year, Student Life directed $200,000 of its budget to subsidizing the pass.

The committee of eight students have been deliberating since late March following budget requests from clubs and departments. Morgan O’Sullivan has been a member of the SLBC for three years and headed the committee for a year and a half.

“It’s pretty fascinating to see where the money goes,” she said.

The SLBC has a set of procedures and guidelines they use to make their decisions. When deciding how much each Student Life club receives, the committee looks at three tiers. “Developing clubs” under five-years-old automatically receive $200, “mid level” clubs under 10-years-old receive $500 and “established clubs” over 10-years-old can request any amount of funds. Under their guidelines, developing clubs and mid-level clubs cannot request and receive more than $500, guidelines that were established at the end of spring semester 2014. After receiving each club’s request and interviewing established clubs about their requests, the committee voted on each club’s budget.

‘It’s eye-opening to see how much money is actually put into the responsibility of students,” SLBC member Kelvin Thoulouis.

Their decisions haven’t come without disagreements or long deliberations. If a member of the SLBC is also a member of a club whose budget they’re voting on, their vote is forfeited. If there is a tie, then the committee’s chair, who normally doesn’t vote, will break the tie with a vote.

Students are invited to Student Senate meetings on Wednesdays at 3 p.m. in H1002 to give their input on the SLBC’s proposal. The committee must have their final budget to college leadership by May 1.

This entry will be updated as the story develops.