MCTC students speak with international students about climate change

Back to Article
Back to Article

Students shared their thoughts of environmental concern on Earth Day, April 22. (Photo: Sydney Foster/City College News)

By Alex Vite
Contributor

MCTC students took advantage of Earth Day on Wednesday, April 22, and seized the opportunity to speak about climate change with students from various parts of the world.

Sustainability Committee member, Diane Pearson, led Earth Day Global Conversations. The event served as a way for MCTC students to connect and learn with their peers about climate change. Seven countries joined in the conversation, which included: Japan, Denmark, Ecuador, Colombia, Costa Rica, Mexico and China. Every country had its own session at different times, ranging from 8:30 a.m. at the earliest, to 7:30 p.m.

Students spoke passionately about climate change via Adobe Connect and gave their opinions on how most people see climate change in their own country. Everyone was in agreement that climate change is happening, however everybody’s country of residence seems to have a different view and take different actions towards this global problem.

A popular idea was that many people fail to see climate change because of the way they live. Students also seemed to agree that they don’t want to change the way in which they live.

“America is convenient, we like convenience,” expressed MCTC student, Alexis Porier. While a Colombian student, Dani Castaño from Universidad de Antioquia, Colombian student shared a similar thought “people don’t see climate change in a serious concern.

“We are in a bubble, we need to get out of the bubble and see the real things.”

Students identified carbon dioxide emissions to be one of the primary factors that contribute to climate change. Students exchanged ideas as to how they try to reduce CO2 emissions and the complications that can sometimes hinder their ability to do so. MCTC student, Simon Fink, said, “Public transportation can be a little unreliable.”

However students agreed that we have to look for more sustainable and reliable means of transportation or deal with catastrophic events in the future.

“The worst case scenario we hear a lot, is that all of the ice in the world will melt and half our country will be gone,” said Nikolai Kølle, A student of Denmark’s Svendborg Tekniskc Gymnasium.

Earth Day Global Conversations was created for MCTC students to connect with students internationally in order to inform themselves about climate change in a global scale and perceive how this phenomenon affects us all. “We’re doing something we’ve never done before,” were the words Pearson used to describe the event.

The conversations were recorded and uploaded to http://newsactivist.com/en for students to go back and watch the conversations, but also to keep the conversation going by leaving comments.

Diane Pearson was able to piece the event successfully thanks to the help from a large faculty.