Student Senate Looking For New Officers

MCTC’s Student Senate will be holding elections for new officers for the ’07-’08 school year.

Below is the list of officers and their requirements.

PRESIDENT

1. Shall be responsible for the overall organization of the Senate and for enforcing the constitution and bylaws.

2. Shall preside at all Senate and Executive Committee meetings and call special meetings as appropriate.

3. Shall ensure that all motions passed by the Senate are properly executed.

4. Shall appoint Senate members to College Committees.

5. Serves as MCTC’s principle liaison with Minnesota State College Student Association (MSCSA) meetings and functions; and reports to the Student Senate and Executive Committee on MSCSA matters. If unable to attend MSCSA meetings, the President may appoint a MCTC student delegate to attend.

6. Serves as the MCTC Student Senate and student body’s primary representative to the MCTC President Administration.

7. Votes at Senate and Executive Committee meetings only in the event of a tie vote.

8. Can only run for the presidency twice, whether in a regular or special election.

VICE PRESIDENT

1. Shall assist the President in all presidential duties.

2. In the absence of the President, conducts Student Senate meetings.

3. Shall maintain membership records and, working with the Senate Advisor, insure that all Student Senators meet the requirements to serve in their positions.

4. Shall serve as the primary Student Senate contact for student clubs and organizations, helping them to meet the requirements for club chartering and funding.

5. Shall insure – working with Student Senate Advisor – that the Student Senate maintains a respectful and welcoming atmosphere and acts in a manner that is consistent with its governing documents.

6. Monitors, with the Senate Advisor, the bylaws, ensuring that changes to keep the bylaws a functioning documents are made in a timely manner and convenes the Working Documents Committee as necessary.

DIRECTOR OF FINANCE

1. Shall administer and maintain accurate records of Student Senate budget and monitor related budgets.

2. Shall report to the Student Senate and its Executive Committee on the Senate and related budgets.

3. Shall assist the President when actions taken by Student Senate involve the expenditure or transfer of funds and insure that proper procedures are followed to carry out the intentions of the Senate.

4. Shall convene the Student Life Budget Committee.

5. Serves as the primary Student Senate contact with the Business Services.

DIRECTOR OF COMMUNICATIONS

1. Shall prepare Student Senate meeting agendas in consultation with the Executive Committee.

2. Shall post Student Senate meeting agendas on the Student Senate bulletin board(s) and electronically before Student Senate meetings.

3. Shall notify MCTC students and the college community of significant actions and issues currently under considerations by the Student Senate.

4. Shall keep minutes of Student Senate meetings and other meetings as necessary for the effective functioning of the Senate.

5. Shall post Student Senate meetings minutes on Student Senate bulletin board(s) and electronically.

6. Shall coordinate with the Director of Public Relations to insure that the Student Senate communicates effectively with the student body.

DIRECTOR OF PUBLIC RELATIONS

1. Shall promote the Student Senate and recruit new members.

2. Shall organize elections for Executive Officer positions.

3. Shall coordinate with the Director of Public Relations to insure that the Student Senate communicates effectively with the student body.

4. Shall work with the Director of Student Life to publicize and promote Student Senate events and activities.

5. Serves as the primary contact with the MCTC student newspaper and other campus publications.

All intentions to run for the Senate need to be in by Wednesday, April 25. The Student Senate meets in room H2500 on Wednesdays at 3 p.m.