Planning a Celebration of Diversity

Festival of Nations – Arts & Features desk

Leading on her own

Laporsha Allen (Reporter)

1--Corrine-Salone-1.jpg

Corinne Salone sits behind a laptop and piles of paper. She is the Special Events Coordinator for the Campus Activities Board (CAB) and the Vice President of Student Senate. In the middle of planning a meeting, she commented that she’d “just emailed” one of her committee members. “I have a lot of stuff to do, and I don’t know how I’m going to do it.” She decided that she may have to do the “to do list tomorrow” for One World Week.

One World Week is a week of events featuring cohesive themes from day to day bringing cultures together, with the Festival of Nations as the capstone. Each day has at least two events where students can participate and learn from each other. This preview can help students participate in One World Week and not be late for class. Passports will be available for people to be stamped for each represented country they visit. The list of events is as follows:

Monday 21 “Who Am I? Who Are You?” H.1002 1 p.m.-2:30 p.m.

Tuesday 22 “Our Choices, Our Consequences” H.1002 2 p.m.-4 p.m.

Tuesday 22 “What is Your Opinion?” H.1002 4 p.m.-5 p.m.

Wednesday 23 “World Mural Project” T-Skyway 9 a.m.-2 p.m.

Wednesday 23 “World Games” H. 1002 2 p.m.-4 p.m.

Thursday 24 “Festival of Nations” H.1002 10 a.m.-4 p.m.

The idea for the Festival of Nations is not Salone’s. She agreed to do it at the request of Shannon Williams, Student Life Coordinator. As Special Events Coordinator CAB, Salone’s skills are formidable. Last semester, she created themes for reflecting people, common goals, cultural competence, and for fun.

A preview of the event includes an environmental talk from 3 Legged Frog, MCTC’s environmental science club. A world mural will be posted in the T-building skyway as a banner where students can write about where they came from. The banner is for the One World showcase.

Salone has “invited Student Language Faculty (SLF), who is offering extra credit for students.” They are tabling language demos, so that the table dedicated to Spanish can have a breakdown of Mexican Spanish, Puerto Rican Spanish, and Castellano.” Castilian or Castellano refers to the dialect of Spanish spoken in Spain.

Tiffin Man Global Market is presenting a tour of the world through food. Salone has not decided if she would like to make a ticket for food sampling.

Although the event has been approved, “staff would be awesome! I can’t keep catering, tell performers to go on during their showcase, and facilitate people panel…” she quips.

TRIO is coming! Minneapolis Community & Technical College (MCTC) chamber ensemble will perform and Ethiopian dance will make an appearance. United Native Tribes for Education (UNITE) will perform a Pow Wow dance.

Many international groups representing themselves have not yet submitted applications to represent their groups, but Salone is not worried, stating “people usually submit applications right before the deadline.”