MSA fights Islamaphobia by hosting interactive events for Islamic awareness week

Back to Article
Back to Article

Photo by Cody Raisch

Photo by Cody Raisch

Jessiena Lake

Photo by Cody Raisch

Jessiena Lake

Jessiena Lake

Photo by Cody Raisch

The Muslim Student Association hosted Islamic Awareness Week event from Mar 27-29 2017, where one event took place everyday, Monday through Wednesday.

Monday started with an interactive event in the second floor T skyway from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. for students to listen to parts of the Quran, try on Islamic attire, and get henna body art.

Tuesday’s event was a panel and Q&A with representatives fromlocal organization Minnesotans Against Islamaphobia as their guest speaker. The panel was held in H.1002 of the Helland Center from 12:30 p.m. to 2 p.m. There was food served after the Q&A.

On Wednesday MSA hosted “God Islam”, an interactive tabling event in H.1002. That was focused on open discussions about the Quran, Hijabs, and more, to discuss their importance and the meanings they hold.

This is an annual event hosted by the Muslim Student Association, and this year their focus was to educate other students on cmpus what Islam means to them. Through MSA’s three separate events, and by allowing students and faculty to interact and learn about who they are, they are changing misconceptions of the Islamic religion.