Fight neocolonialism by saying ‘no’ to Yemen war

Back to Article
Back to Article

Yemen is the latest country to be the victim of ongoing efforts from imperialist nations to seize control of land and resources.

Brutal bombing campaigns have devastated the country in what has been called a “civil war.” However, with Saudi Arabia launching missiles over their border into Yemen, the United States launching drone strikes and providing financial aid, along with Great Britain, France and Canada, this war is certainly international.

A rampant cholera outbreak has also spread as a direct result of the campaign. Currently there are more than 600,000 confirmed individual cases, but its estimated to be about 1 million cases, in actuality. This outbreak has been exacerbated by the war, as getting supplies to those in need has been stifled due to fighting.

On Nov. 15, Save the Children, an aid group devoted to helping children around the world, reported that 400,000 children are in need of cholera vaccine. They also reported that 50,000 children will have died before the end of the year if a U.S.-Saudi blockade does not ease.

Many of these facts and statistics would seem like things that would regularly appear in U.S. news outlets, and many of them do. When time comes to lay blame on the perpetrators of such acts, however, Houthi rebels, Iran and even North Korea are consistently scapegoated. Western media, in general, has opted to classifying the genocide in Yemen as a civil war, a public relations blunder or an accident.

This is all complete and total bullshit.

Western media dodges the truth about this war on purpose. The Washington Post, New York Times and even the Star Tribune have published stories that side-step the involvement of the United States in Yemen, mostly so they do not upset the people in power.

If the Washington Post writes an article singling out a U.S. senator for sponsoring the bombing campaign, that senator will decline every interview until their term is up. Instead of exercising true journalistic integrity, these institutions opt for the soft interview. The New York Times acted similarly during the lead-up to the Iraq War.

It’s no accident that famine and disease have swept the country; a U.S.-Saudi blockade is the cause of that. It’s no accident that 15,000 casualties have been reported since 2015, many of which are civilian; bombing campaigns funded by NATO forces are the cause of that.

Though war seldom has a clear point, this war is seemingly being fought to bolster Saudi and UAE influence on the Arabian Peninsula, or to diminish Iranian influence in Yemen, if it even exists.

None of that matters, however, to the Yemeni who’s home has been destroyed by drone strikes, or who’s child is sick with cholera and desperately needs vaccine that’s being blockaded. Worse, yet, is the voice that has already been silenced.

Colonialism looks the same, no matter what year or what continent it’s spreading on. Whether it’s Great Britain choking India into its empire, U.S. cavalries pushing First Nation peoples out of their homes or French armies grasping for control in Vietnam. It’s war, and it is endless.

At this point it seems cliche, and there are so many other things to worry about in 2017, but contact your elected officials. A large amount of funding for this war is coming from U.S. taxpayers, and if we act now, we can end the bombing, end the blockade and perhaps save lives.

Or consider the alternative.