Mayor Frey pushes for unity in CCN interview

Back to Article
Back to Article

Jacob Frey campaigns in a parade. Photo credit: Wikimedia Commons

Tony Webster

Tony Webster

Tony Webster

This interview was conducted on December 7, 2017.

Jacob Frey won mayor of Minneapolis during the 2017 election and hopes to use his position to push for “real unity” in communities across the city.

Frey says he will continue Minneapolis’ status as a sanctuary city by standing up against strict federal laws that seek information on immigrants.

“It means being a decent neighbor to everybody regardless of who they are,” Frey said. “These people are going to be a critical part of our community for the long haul.”

Frey is in favor of creating a city ID for residents of Minneapolis that are ineligible of obtaining a state ID.

Frey also spoke of curbing tense police-community relations by having police officers more in touch with their communities.

“100 years of red-lining have lead to and mortgage fraud have lead to the situations that exist in parts of [Minneapolis],” Frey said.

He said that narrowing beats and communities, and getting to know the officers on those beats would be a successful way of doing this.

“Exhausting all alternatives would also be important to dealing with critical situations, but keeping keeping body cameras on would hold officers more accountable,” Frey said. “Giving communities the tools to success are crucial to development.”

Frey also made affordable housing an important part of his campaign.

“We want to make sure that everybody has a home and everybody has that right,” Frey said. “When rents rise people have the right to stay in their own neighborhoods. We want to build communities.”

Frey seeks to rapidly transition to his new office to “hit the ground running.”

One of Frey’s first steps in transitioning to his elected office was opening up the office itself to “give everybody access.” To do this he gave all 13 City Council members key cards with full access to the suite of offices in City Hall.

In an interview with The Star Tribune he said, “If the Mayor’s office has access to Council Chambers, council members should have access to the Mayor’s office,” Frey said. “Now they do.”

When asked about helping MCTC students Frey said that more affordable bus fair was one of the major components in his campaign.

“I want to make sure that mobility for students and residents of the city is easy and affordable,” Frey said.

CCN ran a story on mayoral candidate Aswar Rahman during the election, who planned to give $10 million to MCTC to support students. Frey said that while he aimed to make education more affordable in Minneapolis, “that amount might be a little excessive to the goals of the campaign.”

The day this interview was conducted was the day Al Franken announced his resignation as a senator. When asked about the situation Frey said he was “still digesting the situation” and had no further comment.