Senate Vice President takes the lead to help make Minneapolis College an anti-racist campus

photo submitted by Fofo Bristol

Student Senate Vice-President Felicia (Fofo) Bristol

Anya Savvy, Editor-in-Chief

Newly elected Senate Vice President Felicia “Fofo” Bristol is studying apparel technologies at Minneapolis College. Brianna Jackson, also studying apparel technologies and winner of Student Life’s Get Out and Vote Challenge described Bristol as diligent and hardworking. “She’s just very energetic, and I’m like, I need her to come everyday. She’s always just working on something.”

Bristol spoke to CCN about her efforts to make Minneapolis College an “anti-racist” institution.

How do you see the college moving forward toward becoming an anti-racist campus?

Our campus is moving forward in this manner with changes made to assessments in placement. We are working toward more housing links, as well [expanding] policies and procedures. [The] goal is to simply be the voice of differences and [to] bring awareness of any things, policies, people, and leaders of the institution who may [affect students’] focus and success because of race, sex, gender, income or disability. ??I would love to see more artwork of multicultural pieces throughout the school, education that honors and addresses people of color, dance teams, [and a] diversity club, which I am creating for [the] 2021 Spring semester called I AM.

What else would you like to see?

A campus where other clubs come together and do events as one. Teachers [who do not] assume the way diverse people talk or express difficulties is problematic. Also, [teachers] not assuming every student gets it, the way they teach, the first time. Creating ways to teach lessons in more than one way to be diverse [and] flexible [is] creatively inspiring.

Nov. 17, 2020, Bristol attended a Humanize My Hoodie workshop. Student Life hosted this workshop as part of Minneapolis College’s continuing efforts to become an anti-racist campus.

What was your biggest takeaway from the Humanize My Hoodie workshop?

They are not only activists, but educators and business men looking to help and show others guidance.

How  do you think the Humanize My Hoodie workshop benefits students and staff at Minneapolis College?

It helps by expressing the need to practice awareness and, hopefully, [teaching] them that Minneapolis College is . . . now a part of the transition and movement [to] open their eyes to pay attention to others not as themselves.

Why did you choose to take on the challenge of making Minneapolis College an anti-racist campus?

The reason why? Great question. I never really raise my hand for leading roles because I hate to be the boss. I [have] been pushed to [do so] in every area and stage of my life. I would love to watch someone else do it. Honestly, because I believe nobody else has the passion to speak up, show up, or [be the] whistleblower. I believe I am put here to reorganize or establish some characteristic changes while here.  In a couple of years there [may] be a slight chance my daughter chooses this community to be close to granny. I do not want her to experience the same barriers [I experienced] because of not meeting educational or skin tone standards [to receive the] proper assistance and performance support. I don’t want her to feel as if she needs to change something about herself to gain access [to what she needs on] campus.

Anya Savvy is a pen name for a Minneapolis College student who works as a reporter for City College News. To contact Anya, please email them at anya at citycollegenews.com.